Foods to Keep Your Smile Healthy
Did you know that some foods act as a natural cleanser for your teeth? When you eat these foods, they actually clean your teeth, helping to promote optimal levels of oral health. Other foods may not be natural cleansers, but they possess various properties which help keep your teeth healthy.
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) has released a list of foods which provide oral health benefits. By including these in your diet on a regular basis, you can maintain optimal levels of dental hygiene and reduce your risk of serious oral health issues down the road.
The following foods will keep your smile in great shape:
- Basil — contains a natural antibiotic that reduces bacteria in your mouth
- Broccoli — creates an acid-resistant film on your teeth to prevent the erosion of enamel
- Carrots — contain lots of Vitamin A which facilitates the formation of tooth enamel; the crunchy texture of carrots also cleanse and stimulate gums
- Cheese — lactic acid in cheese prevents tooth decay
- Celery — promotes saliva production and massages your gums
- Ginger — contains anti-inflammatory properties that support healthy mouth tissue
- Green tea — contains an antioxidant called catechin which reduces the growth of bacteria that causes gingivitis
- Kale — contains minerals that support healthy tooth structure
- Kiwi — rich in Vitamin C, which is important for gum health
- Lemon — acts as a natural tooth whitener
- Nuts — help manage the pH balance in your mouth
- Onions — contain sulphur compounds which help eliminate bacteria that cause tooth decay
- Pineapple — promotes saliva production and contains citric acid, which together create an all-natural bacteria fighting mouthwash
- Quinoa — contains a variety of minerals which help strengthen teeth
- Salmon — great source of Vitamin D, which helps your teeth absorb calcium from other foods in your diet
- Sea salt — contains several minerals which help strengthen your teeth
- Sesame seeds — reduce plaque and are a great source of calcium
- Shiitaki mushrooms — contain a sugar called Lentinan which prevents bacteria from growing in the mouth
- Strawberries — high in fiber and are a great source of Vitamin C, which helps promote gum health
- Wasabi — contains compounds called isothiocyanates to arrest bacteria growth
Dr. Michael Negru believes it is important to educate all patients about how they can maintain optimal levels of oral health on a daily basis. During your regularly scheduled dental checkups, he will provide you with tips that will keep your smile healthy and beautiful.
Please contact Bright Smile Dental Care today to schedule an appointment. Dr. Negru serves patients in the Beaverton, Oregon area.