What is Fluoride?
Fluoride is the 13th most abundant mineral in the earth’s crust and is found naturally in soil, water, and many foods. It is commonly added to drinking water and toothpaste to help prevent cavities caused by acid erosion. However, the oral health benefits of adding of fluoride to drinking water are far from conclusive, which has prompted many people to question this common practice.
While fluoride is beneficial when used topically, its ingestion can be very dangerous. Many studies have found that high levels of fluoride ingestion can impact brain function and bone development, and even lead to kidney damage. This is why toothpastes that contain fluoride suggest contacting poison control if the product is ingested. Due to these dangers, Beaverton family dentist Dr. Michael Negru suggests patients avoid ingesting fluoride, even through municipal water sources.
Fluoride has been show to prevent acid erosion and to help remineralize teeth, making it ideal for cavity prevention. Dr. Negru offers fluoride treatments for children and adults, but takes special care to minimize risks of ingestion, allowing for optimal results without unnecessary risks. He would be happy to discuss this with you in greater detail during your next visit to our office.
If you are looking for a conscientious and holistic family dentist, please contact Bright Smile Dental to schedule an appointment today. Dr. Negru serves Beaverton, Aloha, and surrounding Oregon communities.